Today, while I was catching up with my RSS feeds in google reader (i.e. wasting time on the internet), I saw this cute map: The United States of Autocomplete. At this point, I decided that instead of wasting time reading other peoples’ blogs I would waste time writing my own blog. So I decided to see how some prominent Indian names/phrases fare under Google autocomplete.
All these results have been obtained by typing the first word or words in Google search and noting down what Google suggested as the first suggestion.
Tried some cities. Pune university. Bombay high court. Delhi metro. Chennai rain. Trivandrum airport. So, apparently, people in Pune are studious, in Bombay they are litigative, and in Trivandrum, they’re just trying to get out.
Politicians were more interesting:
- “Sonia Gandhi biography”. Really? That’s what people find most interesting about her? I was vaguely dissatisfied, so I looked at the remain suggestions, and was further appalled: “Sonia Gandhi hot”, “Sonia Gandhi photos”. Yikes! The internet sure has some weirdos. And the next was “Sonia Gandhi address.” I hope CBI is taking note.
- Rahul Gandhi girlfrield. Yep! Even after so many years, people are primarily concerned about that. No wonder he fared so badly in Bihar.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee poems. Poor guy. After all he’d done, he’s going to be remembered as the PM who used to quote poems in parliament.
- Suresh Kalmadi Jokes. Not surprised!
- Sharad Pawar international school. Also Sharad Pawar college of pharmacy. Followed by Sharad Pawar cancer.
- Raj Thackeray ringtones. Yup, really, that’s the second suggestion. Scary!
- Shashi Tharoor weds Sunanda Puskhar.
I decided to move on to media:
- Arnab Goswami is a moron. Ok I cheated a little. The first result is “Arnab Goswami twitter.” But I swear the 4th result is “Arnab Goswami is a moron.”
- Rajdeep Sardesai salary. (Actually the first three results were “blog”, “twitter”, and “email”, but it’s interesting that so many people are interested in his salary.)
- Udayan Mukherjee wife. Poor guy. How prominent does a guy have to be before people start taking an interest in him and not his wife?
- Barkha Dutt Husband. After all the #barkhagate and #radiatapes affairs, this is the top search on Google?!
I was sure Bollywood would generate some interesting ones. So here they are:
- Deepika Padukone in bikini.
- Gul Panag hot videos. All her intelligent conversations on twitter haven’t helped.
- Kajol baby boy. Ouch!
- For most actors (Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Ranbir Kapoor the first three results were “twitter”, or “biography”, or “blog”.)
- Rakhi Sawant is a man. Obviously this wasn’t the first suggestion, but really, there are people searching for this phrase?!
- Raju Hirani next. Wow. That, If a majority of the people on the internet are wondering what is your next project, that is a major achievement
You have any interesting ones to add to this list?
(Random FYI: “Navin Kabra” gets “old songs” as a suggested completion.)